Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Taking a Bribe in Lieu of Your Beliefs

The other day at school, a boy asked me, "If I gave you five-hundred dollars, would you cuss?" Knowing my ethics and the person that they've known for the past six years, I'm sure that it did not surprise them when I said, "No."

A few of my classmates stood around and gave their opinion:
"For five-hundred dollars, I would say a thousand bad words!"
"They're just words..."
"I'm a Christian, and no where in the Bible does it say that you shouldn't cuss." 
I should mention that all of these kids (minus the boy) do in fact say that they are Christians.

So many Bible Verses flooded my mind... Ephesians 4:29, James 1:26, and James 3:9-11. Of course the Bible talks about not cursing!  It's even one of the 10 Commandments! (Exodus 20) Besides, could you honestly say that God applauds filthy language?

To be honest, I get asked questions like this all of the time. Questions ranging from one extreme to the next. No one ever seems surprised at my answer, but they are very quick to retaliate with their own opinions.

The boy asked another question: "Why?"
Without even thinking, I quickly replied. "It's not worth it."
No one said anything. The conversation just dropped off. A few minutes later the bell rang and we went our separate ways to our next classes.


I'm not really sure why the conversation ended. "It's not worth it" isn't exactly a shocking statement. Perhaps it made them think about their own actions. Perhaps they got bored contrasting my same old reply. I really can't say.

What I can say, however, is that we Christians should not be willing to give up on our beliefs so quickly. Money should never be worth more than pleasing God.

Martyrs die for their beliefs. Christians are persecuted and killed just for saying that they believe in a higher force. While death isn't pretty, I would be proud to say that I stood up for God. God is worth more than life itself. God is worth more than money. God is worth more than anything else. God is eternal life.

If you ever feel like God is not worth it, please rethink. With Easter coming up in a week, now is better than ever to give this lesson. God called upon Jesus to save us from our sins. Jesus prayed often that he wouldn't have to experience such pain and suffering, but he knew that that was God's plan. He didn't try to get out of it. He didn't claim that he didn't know God. He didn't deny that he was indeed King. Jesus accepted his suffering because he knew that God was worth it. He knew that God was the greatest cause he could ever stand up for. And aren't you glad that he did?

Guys, the point is that people want to see you fall. They want to see you sin. They want to see you succumb to what society says is cool. We Christians are supposed to be an example though. Don't let anyone bribe you away from your beliefs. Trust me. When you are on your deathbed, would you rather be proud to say that you lived a life best fit to God's path, or you strayed onto society's path? It's your choice. Personally, I would not choose the latter.

To be honest, if someone did give me five-hundred dollars to cuss, how would I feel about that money? It wouldn't be money well earned, now would it? Sinning is the same deal. Someone tells you to sin, but does it ever feel good in the end? Is it satisfying? No. Choose God. Choose satisfaction. You will be glad that you did.
proxy

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29

"Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless."  James 1:26

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?"  James 3: 9-11

"And you must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching." Titus 2:7 

Photo Source:Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment