Friday, April 22, 2016

The "Have to" List

Do you ever have something that you have to do? Like the kind of have to where your life will not be complete without it?
For example: "I have to get a new dress for the dance!" Susie squealed. 
What about the kind of have to that you maybe don't like so much... like chores or homework?
For example: "I have to wash the dishes before mom gets home!" John exclaimed. 
So what is the difference between them?  Basically, one is fun and the other isn't so much. One is the thing which you would love to do. The other is something that you dread to do.

I have a question for you. Now it might make you squirm, but don't worry. We're all friends here.

Which category would you place 'Reading the Bible' in, for you personally? What about 'Talking to God'?

Now I want you to answer honestly. Be truthful with yourself. Are you getting squirmy? Please don't leave if you are (or if you aren't!).

Personally, for me... and I am being 100% honest here... reading the Bible can sometimes feel like a chore. There are times when I don't want to read it. There are even times when I dread doing so, or don't even bother to at all.

I think that God kind of expects it to happen.

I don't know if you have read 2 Chronicles, but let me tell you. Those rulers were totally off and on from one generation to the next. Basically, each chapter talks about a King of Israel, and whether or not he lived the way God wanted them to live. One chapter, the ruler was good and fair, despised evil, and followed the Lord. By the next chapter, there was a new king who was the exact opposite!

There are going to be times when we don't want to read our Bibles. I think that is just the human spirit. But God doesn't want us to be lazy and fall into bad habits! No! He wants us to be strong and stand up for Him.

So how do I personally do that? Well, I'll tell you. Here is a list!

1. Accept the fact that you might be a bit worn out. 
Even the brightest scholars need a break once in awhile. If you are getting burnt out, I would take a break, one day, just to refresh yourself.

2. Pray for Strength.
Honestly, there are days when I can only pray this simple prayer: "Please God, help me." God knows what I need. Even with a simple prayer, I feel replenished and ready to serve in Him.

3. Just Do It
Pick up the Good Book. Open it. Read it. For some reason, it can seem a bit more difficult than it really is!

4. Read John 8:31-32
These verses give me strength when I remember what I get out of the Bible, out of my relationship with God: freedom.

5. Remember, it's not a 'Have to' thing, but a want to.
Realize that God didn't have to give us His love or His word- He wanted to. Want to read. Want to grow closer to Him. If you develop a desire to want Him, then it will no longer seem like a chore, but something that you enjoy and look forward to daily.

So there you have it!

I pray that you will be able to combat any negative feelings that you have towards the things that bring us closest to God! Like I've said before, it is not always going to be so easy to want to follow God. The desire to follow Him is something that we must cultivate and take care of. You wouldn't expect a rose to bloom overnight, now would you?
proxy

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all of these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

Photo Source: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment