Sunday, April 3, 2016

Selfless Servant

Once, I made a silly deal with my siblings.  I wanted something, a glass of water or a Pop Tart...something like that, I can't remember! Anyway, my siblings wouldn't budge. They didn't want to get up off of the couch anymore than I did. The kitchen seemed so far away, and the couch was oh so cozy.


Frankly, I didn't really blame them. But, couldn't they just please go get me that snack? Not very convincing. Somewhere between an ad break on the show we were watching, I managed to concoct a little deal with my little sister and brother.

"Okay, if you guys will get me something to drink from the kitchen,  I promise that tomorrow I will do whatever you want me to do for you!"

Pretty convincing, if I may say so myself!

My brother and sister seemed to think so too, because sure enough, the duo caved and brought me whatever it was that I had wanted so desperately.

Bright and early that next morning, I heard my name being called. "Laura!" I groaned and rolled over.

"What do you want?  I am trying to get some sleep in here!" I said in my sweetest annoyed voice.

"Don't you remember? The deal?"

My eyes shot open. I figured that they would've forgotten about that! I quickly got up to possibly talk some sense into my siblings. I couldn't possibly be their maid for the entire day! To no avail though, they wouldn't scrap the deal.

All day I found myself catering to every ridiculous whim my siblings might of had. I rolled my eyes and dragged my feet. It was no fun to serve to those two.

When the day ended, boy was I glad! Never again have I made a deal like that!

Never again have I made a deal like that.

Hmm. I started thinking about this the other day.

Jesus didn't call us to be lazy, complaining children of God. He wants us to gladly serve our neighbors. He wants us to show love and compassion to those around us, even when they are demanding.

We should live to serve, not to be served.

We should put others before ourselves.

But most of all, our main focus should be to please God above all things.

Was it fun to wait on hand and foot... not really. Was it fun to be concerned with my siblings needs before mine own? No. I can honestly say that I was miserable.

It might not be fun to think about other people and their needs. It might make you miserable. It might be hard. Regardless of this, we are called to be servants like Christ.

Jesus served others before he served himself. He served others in little ways, and he also served us all in the biggest way possible- dying on the cross to save us from our sins.

Was that fun for him? Did it make him happy? Did he make sure that he was cushy and comfortable? No. Maybe he wasn't happy, but God was.

Strive to a servant. Help those around you. Show your love and Christlike attitude through serving. Who knows? Maybe you'll inspire someone to do the same.
"Serve with your whole heart, as if you were serving the Lord, not people." Ephesians 6:7
"The Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and give his life as ransom to many." Mark 10:45
Serve your neighbors with love. Get your brother or sister that Pop Tart they asked for. Spread love and a desire to serve others through your own servant attitude!
Photo Source: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment