Sunday, February 7, 2016

Diving into Risky Territory

Drip. It starts out slowly, carefully, cautiously. "I'm okay... I can handle it." you tell yourself. "Drop." "I'm fine. I can do this by myself." "Plunk!" "Ummm, I'm fine!" "SPLASH!" "Wait...how did I end up here?!"

Does this conversation sound familiar to you- minus the sound effects, of course. Testing yourself. The fight within yourself to do what is right, before you dive off the deep end? I constantly fight with myself.

You guys know how the Internet is, right? You search for one thing, and minutes later you are looking at a completely different page? I know the feeling.

Earlier today, I was looking up something for school, my science class. I came across a website that seemed to be fine for school. Drip. I was cautious about where I looked, what I saw. I was in safe territory.

I clicked on another article. It was slightly less school appropriate. There were ads on the sides that should of cued me to leave the site. I figured that I could handle a couple of ads, besides I needed the article for school. Drop. My caution guard loosened slightly. Plunk.

I clicked on another article from the website with the weird ads. It led me to an article that I didn't even click on. The false title led me to a webpage that made me blush. An article that should've been school appropriate was completely the opposite. SPLASH! I was now in dangerous territory.


I quickly clicked out of the website and slammed my laptop shut, filled with shock and realizing the mistake that I had made.

I ignored the signs that would of kept me safe; language, ads, pictures, but I ignored them, thinking that I could handle the situation, thinking that the biology topic that I was required to look up for school trumped the stupid ads on the side, because "I need the article."

The Internet, at times, could be likened to the devil. He crouches down, hiding in familiar territory and leads you to dangerous territory, claiming that "It's okay. You'll be fine." Blindlessly following, we often lose our sense of what's right and wrong and throw away caution.

Think back to Adam and Eve, the original sinners. The devil, disguised as a serpent came to Eve, offering all of the knowledge of God. "You will be just as wise as God if you eat the fruit..." - which God had forbidden- "He knows it too. That's why He won't let you have it."

Temptation overcame both Adam and Eve and they brought sin into the world by eating the fruit.

The devil is extremely sneaky:
"You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master."    Genesis 4:7
So we have to be extremely careful and cautious. We must pay attention to warning signs around us and not to take them with a grain of salt. Don't throw caution to the wind. There is a reason that we are cautious.
"The wise are cautious and avoid danger; fools plunge ahead with reckless confidence...Those who fear the Lord are secure; he will be a refuge for their children." Proverbs 14:16, 26 
Be cautious, don't dive into risky territory: it will NOT lead to good. Instead, listen to the signs, crush the devil's cues to make you sin, and take refuge in God. It may be easier to just sin and then just ask God for forgiveness, but don't be like that. Do what you know in your heart to be right, for you will be rewarded in the end.

Remember, diving into sin is nothing but risky territory. Do what is right. Have a safe week! I will be praying for you!
                                                             proxy


Picture Source: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment