Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Vienna

Have you ever heard the song, "Vienna" by Billy Joel? It is one of my favorites. The lyrics ring with wisdom and truth.  If you haven't heard it,  I recommend at least looking up the lyrics. Here's a bit of a teaser, but trust me, the music is awesome!

  "Slow down you crazy child, 
You're so ambitious for a juvenile.
But then if you're so smart tell me, 
Why are you still so afraid?"

Basically, it is a song about stopping and smelling the roses and enjoying life instead of planning out your every move. This song is powerful; the very first note and I am already deeply touched. (That piano intro!:)) Anyway, I am getting off topic...


So, what in the world does this have to do with anything, you wonder? I am so glad that you asked! Listening to this song always make me think long and hard. I have college creeping up my back and grades, scholarships, ACTS, SATS, homework, studying, and, well, you get the point. A long list of life. This long list really freaks me out sometimes. It's not just kids though, nearly everyone can relate to this song. We humans like to put things in fast gear, zipping and zooming about, thinking that our plans and busyness should earn us some sort of medal, but God has a different plan for us. God has already has our plans planned inside and out for us since long before our great grandparents were even born. We don't have to worry about how we will turn out...God already knows, and it is perfect.

These plans that God has for us, they can takes years and years to grow into. My guiding verses for this post are Ecclesiastes 3:11 and Proverbs 19:21.

   "He makes all things beautiful in His time." Ecclesiastes 3:11

"You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail." Proverbs 19:21

These verses are perfect reminders that we can plan and plan until we have plans coming out of our ears, but they will do no good because unless God feels that we can and will fulfill that purpose, those plans seem quite useless. Am I saying that we should not plan at all? Not a chance, but we should ask God to show us the life he has designed us to lead, and ask Him to prepare us to do so. Coming up with a plan too fast and without guidance is like a caterpillar hatching from its chrysalis before it has turned into a butterfly. 

Like Billy Joel said in his touching lyrics, "Vienna waits for you." So slow down, enjoy the journey, and ask God to guide you to where He wants you to go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment